Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Bit About Morel

Spring's mushroom hunting season is here! It's probably Jared favorite season, right after Autumn's season which hauls in way WAAAAY more mushrooms. Something you ought to know about our family if you didn't already, is that this is a HUGE thing for us. It first started with Jared and when I tagged along I thought "What am I getting myself into?"  Even though my passion for mushrooms is maybe 1/3rd of Jared's (He reads scientific mushroom growing books before bed. See? It's kinda his thing. )  What got me hooked was I am a better spotter than he is. Instant satisfaction I suppose. It's like a Christmas or Birthday tradition except we seem to be the only ones that celebrate it. (Which is all fine and dandy to us, don't touch our secret mushroom spots!) Being alone in the woods with the ferns blowing on the forest floor and the moss swaying from the trees is just spiritual man! 

I found these pictures of us last year with our mushroom hunting gear on. So much has changed.

These are HUGE stems from  morel mushrooms we found last year. Tasty tasty! (And lucky, lucky!)

Here is a triple headed mutant. Jared about went into shock. Think about how rare it is for something to have three heads! No matter, we left it and gathered up a bunch of his buddies to make dinner with.

To eat Early Spring Morels you just take the cap off.  Wash wash wash and we like to pan fry.


Bon appetit!


This might seem like a random photo but did you know Onyx's middle name is Morel?


To read more about our morel adventures you can click here ....or to learn more about what's the meaning behind Onyx's name you can click here to see my old blog Maps and Mer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...